Cannabis seeds : a world to discover
Cannabis is a plant that has been making headlines for many years, not only for its recreational uses but also for its many therapeutic virtues. However, few people really know about cannabis seeds and their various characteristics. In this article, we take a look at everything you need to know about these little seeds, as well as the Complete Guide to Feminized Cannabis Seeds.
The different types of cannabis seeds
There are three main types of cannabis seeds:
- Regular seeds : Regular seeds are the result of natural pollination between male and female plants. They have about a 50% chance of giving birth to a male or female plant. To find out more, discover everything you need to know about regular cannabis seeds.
- Feminized seeds : Feminized seeds are obtained through a genetic manipulation process that guarantees the production of nearly 99% female plants. This enables growers to avoid male plants, which are useless for flower production and can pollinate female plants, reducing their yield.
- Autoflowering seeds : Autoflowering seeds come from crosses between photoperiod cannabis strains (which flower according to day length) and Ruderalis cannabis strains, which flower independently of photoperiod. These seeds give rise to plants that begin to flower automatically after a certain period of time, generally 2 to 4 weeks after germination, whatever the light conditions.
Cultivating cannabis seeds: what you need to know
To get started growing cannabis, it’s essential to be familiar with the various stages and techniques required for proper plant development. For this, check out our comprehensive guide on how to grow cannabis seeds.
The first step in cannabis cultivation is to germinate the seeds. This crucial phase can be carried out in different ways:
- Glass-of-water method: Place the seeds in a glass of water and wait a few days until they release a small white root.
- Paper towel method: Place seeds between two layers of damp paper towels and wait for the root to appear.
After germination, the seedlings must be transplanted to a suitable growing medium (soil, coco, hydroponics…). During this vegetative growth phase, it is essential to provide plants with intense light to encourage leaf and stem development. Daylight should be at least 18 hours long to stimulate growth.
To trigger flowering in photoperiod varieties, it is necessary to reduce daylight to 12 hours. Autoflowering plants, on the other hand, flower automatically without changing the photoperiod. This phase is crucial for obtaining quality flowers and optimum yields.
How to choose your cannabis seeds ?
The choice of cannabis seeds will depend on several factors:
- Your goals : Do you want to grow cannabis for personal consumption or for therapeutic reasons? In the latter case, opt for strains with high CBD and low THC content.
- Your level of experience : If you’re a beginner, choose easy-to-grow seeds, such as autoflowering or feminized varieties.
- Growing conditions : Take into account the climatic conditions in your region and choose suitable seeds. Some varieties are more resistant to cold, humidity or disease.
Cannabis seeds offer an exciting world for enthusiasts of this plant with its many virtues. Knowing the different seed varieties and their characteristics will help you choose the ones that best suit your needs and ensure successful cultivation. Take a look at our comprehensive guides to feminized cannabis seeds, regular seeds and cannabis cultivation to learn more.