Introduction to cannabis seed types
The world of cannabis can seem complex to beginners, especially when it comes to choosing the right seeds to grow. There are regular and feminized cannabis seeds, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we’ll help you find your way around so you know how to choose the seeds best suited to your crop. To find out more about the different categories of seeds, don’t hesitate to consult our complete guide.
Regular cannabis seeds
Regular cannabis seeds are derived from natural male and female plants. They produce both male and female plants at a ratio of around 50/50. The male plants are used for pollination and the production of new seeds, while the female plants produce the cannabinoid-rich flowers.
Benefits of regular seeds
- Genetic variety : Regular seeds offer greater genetic diversity, resulting in plants with unique characteristics.
- Robustness : Plants from regular seeds are generally more resistant to disease and environmental stress.
- Breeding : Regular seeds are essential for growers who want to create their own cannabis crosses and strains.
Disadvantages of regular seeds
- Unwanted male plants : Approximately half of the plants produced from regular seeds will be male plants. These don’t produce cannabinoid-rich flowers, and should be removed before flowering to prevent pollination of female plants.
- Loss of space and time : The presence of male plants also implies a loss of space and time for the grower, who has to devote resources to non-productive plants.
Feminized cannabis seeds
Feminized cannabis seeds are the result of a selection process that guarantees the production of female plants only. They were created to facilitate cannabis cultivation by eliminating the risk of unwanted male plants.
Benefits of feminized seeds
- All plants are productive : Feminized seeds guarantee that all plants grown will produce cannabinoid-rich flowers.
- Save space and time : Growers won’t have to devote space and time to male plants, maximizing flower production.
- Simplicity for beginners : Growing feminized seeds is simpler, as there’s no need to monitor and eliminate male plants.
Disadvantages of feminized seeds
- Less genetic diversity : Feminized seeds have reduced genetic diversity, which can limit the potential for creating new varieties.
- Cost : Feminized seeds generally cost more than regular seeds due to the selection process required to guarantee their feminization.
How to choose between feminized and regular seeds ?
The choice between regular or feminized cannabis seeds depends mainly on your cultivation goals. If you’re a beginner or just want to grow cannabis for personal use, feminized seeds are probably the best choice. They’ll allow you to maximize flower production without having to worry about unwanted male plants.
On the other hand, if you’re an experienced grower or want to create your own cannabis crosses and strains, regular seeds will be more suitable. They offer greater genetic diversity and allow you to experiment with different phenotypes to produce unique plants.
In conclusion, it’s important to know the characteristics and needs of each type of seed before you start growing cannabis. Take into account your level of experience, your production goals, and the time and space you have available to make the best possible choice.