Preserving cannabis seeds is a crucial step in ensuring their viability and germination potential. Poor storage can lead to seed degradation, reducing quality and affecting the resulting plants. In this article, we explain how to store your seeds optimally and the mistakes to avoid.
Key factors to consider.
To preserve the quality of cannabis seeds, several factors need to be taken into account: temperature, humidity, light and airtightness. By controlling these elements, you can ensure the longevity of your seeds and increase their chances of germination. Discover our complete guide to cannabis seeds our complete guide)
Cannabis seeds are sensitive to temperature variations. So it’s important to store them in a cool, stable environment. The ideal temperature is between 6 and 8 degrees Celsius. To achieve this, you can store them in a refrigerator or freezer (but beware of humidity).
Too high a humidity can cause seeds to germinate prematurely, while too low a humidity can dry them out and reduce their germination potential. The ideal relative humidity for storing cannabis seeds is between 20% and 30%. To control humidity, dehumidifier sachets or silica gel capsules can be used.
The sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage cannabis seeds. So it’s essential to protect them from direct sunlight. Use opaque packaging or keep your seeds in a cool, dark place.
Prolonged exposure to oxygen can also impair the quality of cannabis seeds. To avoid this, opt for airtight packaging that prevents air from coming into contact with the seeds. Ziplock bags or metal tins are commonly used options.
The best preservation methods
Now that you know the key factors to consider when storing your cannabis seeds, here are some effective methods:
- Use airtight containers: As mentioned above, ziplock bags or metal tins are ideal for storing seeds. Make sure the container is completely sealed and airtight.
- Storing seeds in a refrigerator: The temperature and humidity of a refrigerator are generally suitable for storing seeds. However, take care to avoid condensation by placing your seeds in an airtight bag with a dehumidifier or silica gel.
- Use a special seed box: There are boxes designed specifically to store and protect cannabis seeds. These boxes offer optimum protection against light, humidity, temperature and oxygen.
Errors to avoid.
To store your cannabis seeds correctly, it is important to avoid the following common mistakes:
- Don’t use clear containers: Clear glass containers don’t protect seeds from UV rays. Instead, opt for opaque containers or place them in a dark place.
- Forgetting to check humidity regularly: Humidity can vary over time, especially if you store your seeds in a refrigerator. Check the humidity regularly and adjust it if necessary using dehumidifiers or silica gel.
- Don’t label your seeds: It’s essential to label your seeds with their name and harvest date to ensure you’re using the right seeds at the right time. Cannabis seeds can keep for several years if stored correctly, but their germination potential diminishes over time. So use the oldest seeds first.
By following these tips, you can store your cannabis seeds optimally and preserve their quality for successful germination. Remember to take into account key factors such as temperature, humidity, light and air-tightness, and avoid common mistakes to ensure the longevity of your precious seeds.