Cannabis cultivation is a practice that is attracting more and more enthusiasts, whether for recreational or therapeutic use. Among the many options available to growers, the choice between regular and feminized cannabis seeds is crucial. In this article, we take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of these two types of seeds.
What are regular cannabis seeds?
Regular cannabis seeds are the result of natural reproduction between a male and a female plant. They therefore have a 50% chance of giving birth to a male plant and a 50% chance of giving birth to a female plant. To find out more about regular cannabis seeds, visit our complete guide.
Benefits of regular cannabis seeds
- Resistance: Regular cannabis seeds are generally more resistant to disease, pests and climatic variations than feminized seeds.
- Genetics: The genetic diversity obtained through natural reproduction between male and female plants results in more vigorous plants and higher-quality harvests.
- Reproduction: Regular cannabis seeds allow growers to produce their own seeds for their next crops, which can be an economic boon.
Disadvantages of regular cannabis seeds
- Risk of male plants: The presence of male plants in a cannabis crop can lead to the pollination of female plants and thus the production of seeds instead of resin-rich flowers. It is therefore essential to keep a close eye on your plants when growing regular cannabis seeds, and to eliminate male plants as soon as they are detected.
- Monitoring time: The need to identify and remove male plants induces extra work for the grower, with regular inspections during the vegetative growth phase.
If you’d like to learn how to grow regular cannabis seeds, check out our article dedicated to the subject: “how to grow regular cannabis seeds“.
What are feminized cannabis seeds?
Feminized cannabis seeds are seeds which, thanks to genetic or hormonal manipulation, will almost always give rise to female plants. They are highly prized by growers seeking to obtain a crop of resin-rich flowers without having to deal with the presence of male plants.
Benefits of feminized cannabis seeds
- Harvest safety: Feminized seeds almost exclusively guarantee female plants, avoiding the risk of pollination and the production of seeds instead of flowers.
- Time saving: Growing feminized seeds saves time and effort in monitoring and removing male plants.
- Yield: A larger number of female plants increases overall crop yield, as each plant produces flowers.
Disadvantages of feminized cannabis seeds
- Cost: Feminized seeds are generally more expensive than regular seeds, due to the selection and handling process involved in their production.
- Genetic stability: Feminized seeds can sometimes be less genetically stable, leading to problems such as hermaphroditism (the presence of male and female characteristics on the same plant).
- Reproduction difficult: Feminized cannabis seeds generally don’t allow growers to produce their own seeds for future crops, since they are derived from female plants only.
The choice between regular and feminized cannabis seeds depends on the grower’s objectives and constraints. Regular seeds offer greater genetic diversity and resistance, while feminized seeds guarantee a high number of female plants and a harvest of seedless flowers. Each type of seed has its advantages and disadvantages; it’s up to the grower to choose according to his or her needs and level of experience.